10 August 2012

Is Your Heart a Refuge for Others?

I read those words this morning as a prayer by Sharon Foster in a Daily Guideposts devotional:
Lord, give each one of us a place of refuge and help our hearts be a refuge for others.
I read books and stories and devotionals by others because I am always challenged by what God has led someone else to say.

I was stopped in my tracks by this question: is my heart a refuge for others?

Wouldn't that be at the top of God's to-do list for me, for any of us?

I tried to imagine three practical ways my heart could become a refuge for others.
1. Listen: don't people feel recognized when we truly listen?
2. Prepare: spend private time with God praying for those for whom you are a refuge and learn how He wants you to respond.
3. Keep: keep God as the refuge of your heart or you will go off wildly in unhelpful ways.
Thank you to the many who have been a refuge for my heart, even when they were unaware.

And thanks, Sharon Foster, for allowing God to speak so beautifully through you.

Blog Archive