11 January 2014

Patient Restraint, a Bird and Salvation: Day 2

The bench waited and so did I. The most remarkable thing happened:
I grew roots of waiting strength.
I think naturally in analogies. I am constantly observing, Oh, this has a similar template to that:
We live based on observed cycles: seasons, harvests, day and night, baby to adulthood
Root systems happen over time in plants, families, organizations
Strength develops along resistance lines not only in muscles but through hardship
Cycles, roots and resistance help us build strength if we recognize that waiting on God is a fuel that all living things require. If we wait well through one event, then we have some skills to apply in the next round of waiting. So waiting on God becomes its own root system, strengthening us over time in the way God works.

I'm sure this is an important lesson. God himself practices waiting (2 Peter 3):
God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn't want anyone lost. He's giving everyone space and time to change.
In the space and time I waited to see a bird in a building (see Jan 10th post), I changed. I allowed God more room to drive my life, and gave less energy to my "hurry to have it now." Peter continues:
So, my dear friends, since this is what you have to look forward to [the promised new heavens and the promised new earth, all landscaped with righteousness], do your very best to be found living at your very best, in purity and peace. Interpret our Master's patient restraint for what it is: salvation.
If patient restraint paints the picture of salvation, it is the most important brush in my art box. I wasn't disappointed:
On a particular Sunday morning, I was welcoming an important, long-time friend and her husband to our church for their first visit. Minutes after she was seated, she motioned me over to ask, "Do you have birds in the building for ambiance?"
And there it was. A bluebird, flitting nervously around our high ceiling, uncertain of its whereabouts. Of course it was a bluebird. Of course it was in our church. Two of my very favorite keynotes of God's presence.

The bench no longer waits, but oh, do I. I await the next adventure that comes only through...waiting.

What a crazy, inventive, interesting God we serve.

Comments are welcome at feedyourstrength@gmail.com. 

Blog Archive